Siras Systems Newsletter
New HOT Features Introduced in Response to User Requests
- Options on the Student Information and Services page have been added to the secondary menu. Individual and Small Group are now choices for Speech and Language, Adapted Physical Education, Occupational Therapy and Physical Therapy. Consultation/Collaboration has been added for Specialized Deaf and Hard of Hearing Services.
COOL Changes Made to Existing Features to make life easier
- SIRAS is developing a checkbox in the IEP manager that will read “CAASPP test in progress or completed.” Currently, the menus on the CAASPP Participation page are based on the student’s current grade. When the new box is checked, the menus on the CAASPP form will advance based on the student’s next grade.
- NURSES AND/OR CASE MANAGERS: If your students have medications listed on the Student info > Student profile > Disability/Medical tab, you can now print a list of your students and their medications. This information will flow to the present levels page on your next IEP. If you have a long list of medications that don’t all fit into the medications box on the present levels page, continue the list in another area. The area for overall health on the medical tab and the corresponding portion on the present levels page are not connected. You can make brief notes in the tab only providers can see and the overall health field on the IEP can be written in parent-friendly language. The other fields in the health box can still be entered directly on the present levels page and transfer to the tab for storage and printing lists.
- Since the separate data fields were previously combined, the next time you do an IEP you may need to separate the medication info from the overall health info, as well as remove some irrelevant data in the overall health field.
IMPORTANT for all users in SIRAS
- You will be prompted to change your password every 365 days. For most users, this will occur in September. Get ahead of the pack and change your Password now! Go to Tools > My Account and click on Edit Account Details. Enter your new password, confirm and then click Update User Account.
- Following a review from the California Department of Education (CDE), a statement about the frequency, location and duration has been added to the Modifications portion of the Classroom Accommodations and Modifications page. It states, “The modifications stated below are provided in the classroom on a daily basis for the duration of instruction in the subject (s) specified.” As a reminder, when you are specifying modifications on the page, select either “All Subjects” or indicate the subject(s) to which each modification applies. If there are none, choose “None” from the menu. Do NOT leave this section blank.
- While the CDE commended the details on our transition plans, it was suggested we no longer use “Not Sure” when stating our students’ post-secondary employment outcomes. If the student has identified several employment interests or is unsure, note at least one of the interests resulting from assessment and consider a goal for further career exploration activities. For students with severe disabilities, you may indicate supported employment or volunteer work.
IMPORTANT for CASEMIS Clerks/Special Ed. Secretaries in SIRAS
- District CASEMIS staff can enter progress reporting dates, vacations and ESY dates for next school year. Go to the Tools menu and select SELPA/District/School Admin.
- Enter Progress Report dates for the 2016-17 school year and even the 2017-18 school year, if known. Enter the regular report card dates for the district. If there are different reporting periods within your district, narrow your focus using the school house icon to the specific school with different dates. Utilize the “Description” column to name each reporting period (quarter, trimester, semester, P1, Progress Report 1, etc.).
- Enter all vacation days. For holidays, enter the first and last calendar day that students do not attend school. SIRAS will know if the vacation is in excess of 5 school days and apply those days to the assessment completion/countdown feature in the IEP manager.
- A new choice in the dropdown is Extended School Year. You can now input the start and end dates for ESY.
- Disregard the option to enter the CAASPP Test Period. We will be doing something different to advance testing options based on grade level next year.
- The rollover and grade advance will occur on August 1. For students who have open meetings that will be continued, you will need to go to that student’s IEP in development and manually advance the grade if appropriate. To avoid/reduce the need to do this in the future, complete meetings and finalize them before you leave for the summer.
- SAVE the DATE: Our fall CASEMIS staff meeting is scheduled for Monday, November 7, 2016. In response to feedback from CASEMIS staff, we have extended our meeting time in length to accommodate dedicated collaboration with our CALPADS peers and for additional training time for us. Therefore, on November 7th, please plan for a full day, 8:30-3:30. Lunch will be provided for CASEMIS staff! Registration information will be sent in September.
Medi-Cal Billing Option:
Siras Systems, Inc. is excited to announce a partnership with Leader Services, a national company that provides technology and data processing solutions to over 1,000 Local Education Agencies (LEA's). Leader has provided Medicaid billing services to LEA's since 1992 and has assisted with generating more than $1.8 billion in reimbursements. Together, we will provide an improved service within IEP management and Medi-Cal billing for our mutual clients. With consent in the near future, we will offer districts the ability of integrating SIRAS IEP data with Leader's Medi-Cal billing software via a scheduled nightly data export option between the two systems. We offer this as a solution to help save valuable staff time on data upkeep while providing LEA's a streamlined IEP management and Medi-Cal billing process with the goal of maximizing reimbursement potential.
If you have any questions, please contact Steve Ormbrek - firstname.lastname@example.org